banner ad
RSS
banner ad

How to Install and Set Up WP-Vybe 2.0

August 03, 2008 | | Comments 124

It doesn’t take a lot to install and set up your new WP-Vybe WordPress theme. Read on, and you’ll have it knocked out in a snap.

Step 1 – Unzip the File

The file you downloaded can be unzipped with any standard unzip program (if you don’t have one already installed on your computer, Stuffit Expander is a popular option for PC or MAC users). When you unzip the file, you’ll end up with a folder named “wp-vybe.” Within it are all the theme files along with the end user license agreement (please take a moment to read over the license agreement).

Step 2 – Upload the Theme Files to Your WordPress Site

Option 1

If you are using WordPress 2.8 and above, you are able to install the ZIP file of the theme directly from the Dashboard. This simplifies things since you don’t need to use FTP:

1. When viewing the WordPress Dashboard, go to Appearance -> Themes
2. Click “Install Themes” (big tab at top)
3. Click “Upload”
4. Click ‘Choose File’ then navigate to where you downloaded the theme ZIP file; click ‘Open’
5. Click ‘Install Now’
6. When done installing, click “Activate”
7. That’s it!

Option 2

For this step, you’ll need an FTP (file transfer protocol) program. An FTP program allows you to transfer files between your computer and your web hosting account. There are several available, but I use SmartFTP. You’ll want to upload your theme folder to the /wp-content/themes folder in your WordPress installation.

Step 3 – Activate WP-Vybe

Login to your WordPress control panel, and click the Appearance link on the left. On the next page you’ll see all your available themes. Simply click on the WP-Vybe screenshot, then click the Activate link in the upper right-hand corner of the pop-up screen.

Step 4 – Set Up Your Featured Articles Section

If you don’t already have a “Featured” category, you’ll need to create one. Click the Manage tab, then Categories on the sub-navigation bar. Create a new category named “Featured”. Also, be sure the category slug is “featured”.

For the Featured Articles function to work correctly, you may also need to modify your permalink structure. To do that, go to Settings -> Permalinks. Just be sure that any option other than the default permalink structure is selected.

Finally, the only thing left to do is to place some of your posts/articles in the Featured category. By default, the theme is set up to display your 5 most recent Featured Articles in the featured article box on your home page. You can change that number on the WP-Vybe Theme Settings page if you like.

Step 5 – Install and Activate Plugins Supported by WP-Vybe

WP-Vybe has built-in support for the following plugins:

Recently Popular – Your Most Popular Posts will appear at the top of the right sidebar in the tabbed navigation box as seen on this site. In WP-Vybe the plugin is configured to look at the past two weeks but this can be changed by modifying the plugin code in side-tabs.php:

<?php get_recently_popular(2, ‘WEEK’, 5, 0, 2); ?>

The first number within the parentheses is the interval length and the word following it is for the interval type (HOUR, DAY, WEEK, or MONTH). See the plugin’s page here for more details.

WP-Print – If you install and activate WP-Print, a printer icon will appear at the top of each Single post page. See this post for an example. If you don’t install it, the theme will function just fine without it; you just won’t give your readers the option to print out your posts. Note: Be sure to Update Permalinks AFTER you activate the plugin as mentioned on the “Installation” page for the plugin here.

Get the Image – This is a sweet, little plugin from the very brilliant Justin Tadlock. It will make it easier for you to include post thumbnails and featured photos for all your posts without using custom fields. More on that in another tutorial. Again, if you decide not to use it, the theme will function fine without it.

Be sure you download the latest version of each plugin and upload them to your wp-content/plugins folder. Then activate them. The theme will do the rest.

Step 6 – Add Some Content to Your Sidebars

Go to Appearance -> Widgets and drag some content into your sidebars. Be sure to click the ‘Save Changes’ button when you’re done.

Step 7 – Be Sure to Visit the WP-Vybe Theme Settings Page

The link for this page is available under Appearance. I’ve given you a whole slew of optional settings for the theme, so feel free to change a few of them, and see what sort of site you can create for yourself.

Step 8 – Custom Menus – Very Important

In WordPress 3.0 and above you are able to take advantage of the custom menu feature. Here is a short screencast to show you how it works.

Please note that you must set up the custom menus as instructed in the video. Otherwise, you will have a duplicate page navigation bar as the category bar (if part of the theme).

Optional Step 9 – Make Your Featured Articles Scroll Automatically

See this comment.

Filed Under: FeaturedMarketingProductivitySoftwareSub-Subcat1Sub-Subcat2Tutorials

Tags:

About the Author:

RSSComments (124)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Sunita says:

Alistair

I increased the php memory limit and that resolved the issue. However, it’s taking a lot of time to load up the page. It could be that it’s trying to retrive all 3000 pages that are on the site. How do I limit the number of posts so that the page pulls up only the latest for eg 500 posts.

How do i remove the box that has the Subscribe,Popular and Archives in it ?

2. Hi to all!

This support is getting bigger and bigger (which is good). Now we have to spent some time to read it before asking a question. Maybe a forum would be more apropriate? Anyway:

Could some of you give more exlained details on how to change built in search function with the “Google Adsense for search”. I want to show search results within the same page. So from Google you get 2 pieces of code. I guess I have to change “search.php” and “searchform.php”?! But what part?

Thanks in advance!

3. [...] aktiviert, aber auf der offziellen Preview Seite vom WP-Vype Design findet man in den Kommentaren eines Eintrages eine Anleitung vom Entwicklerteam wie man den Ticker im Handumdrehen zum scrollen [...]

4. Alistair Barnett says:

Hi everyone,

If you are looking for support, please visit our forum at http://www.solostream.com/forum/ for immediate answers to your support questions. Otherwise, there will be a delay in answering your support-related comment if left here.

If this doesn’t apply to you, feel free to comment!

Alistair

5. Mike says:

Hello! I am preparing to start my own financial markets research (analysis and opinion) and education website and company. I am thinking about using your template. I was wondering is there a way to add an advertiser space in the header (to the right of the website title)? Thank you for all of your hard work!

6. Drew McManus says:

Is there a way to set up the template so that blogs with multiple authors can automatically create an archive for each author?

7. Mike says:

Just wanted to let you know I successfully installed vybe on my new site! I will be working diligently on the creation of this site for the next few months, and I’ll be sure to let you know how it is coming. Thanks!

8. DBB says:

How SEO friendly is your theme?

9. mikedurkin says:

DBB,

We believe that the Vybe design is SEO friendly. We put in much time an effort to make sure that the code is written properly.

That said, the best way to know is to check out what our customers are saying. Mark P. in our forum had this to say about the SEO capability of the WP-Vybe template.

“I’m very pleased to say that after only 2 weeks the site ranks in Google on page #1 and #3 for my two primary keyword search phrases. This is after never ranking at all with my previous ‘pro’ developed website.”

Anyone else have some great SEO stories to share?

10. Hi Michael,

I have a question in regards to the last comment you made. Does this mean it will duplicate the featured articles in the section below (recent articles) if I was to change the code as suggested, or will it pull only those featured articles that have gone beyond the featured box?

Thanks, BTW, LOVE your theme!

11. Clive says:

Hi again I’ve just bought the theme for the second time ( should have got the developer’s licence first time around, what a cheapskate I am) and using it on http://blogwam.com/members .

However I’m not too upset as using my affiliate link to WP-Vybe in my footer has made me a few sales that more than cover this expense! :-)

Cheers,

Clive

12. Bryan says:

Nicely done – I really like your theme.

13. Kevin says:

Kudos on WP-Vybe. Seriously considering it.

Two quick questions:

#1 – We’re noticing that many sites utilizing the WP-Vybe theme experience a delay when navigating between pages/posts. Any comments on that?

#2 – We would be incorporating YouTube videos into most posts. Would that impact performance in any way (specifically page load-time)?

Thanks

14. mikedurkin says:

Kevin,

Thanks for the note. In our experience, the majority of speed problems are caused by third party plugins. I urge you to compare the sites your are viewing against this demo site which runs quite well. If you would like us to look at a specific site, please send an email.

We would not anticipate you experience significant performance problems with the posting of videos, assuming there are no plugin related problems that we cannot anticipate.

Mike

15. Holly Baade says:

hi.
    i am considering purchasing your template.
    I would like to be able to have a short intro page, not one with all of the blog info.
    and also, a few pages within the site, not to have the blog info..

so it is a corp/blog hybrid.

is this possible, especially on the opening page?
    having a featured article would be ok, but i really want a landing corp/feel on the home page…?

Thanks.
    Holly

16. Awesome work I will be having this theme on my site
    thanks

17. Dude! You don’t know how happy I am that you added Purple to the color schemes !
    Just got around to updating and I am very happy with it and the reviews from readers and the industry people that I deal with have been very good.
    Nice job once again.

How are you gonna top this ? LOL.

18. Very well written post however, I would recommend that you turn the No Follow off in your comment section.

Keep up the good work.

19. bjohnm says:

Does WP Vybe offer category blocks on the “front” page?